September 19, 2010
HACU and GAP present scholarships to students of Design Your Future contest
The scholarship recipients of the Design Your Future/Diseña Tu Futuro competition were announced at a fashion show held during the Student Track component of HACU’s Annual Conference on Sept. 19.
The five finalists of the Design Your Future/Diseña Tu Futuro competition, presented by HACU and Gap Inc., were selected after students majoring in a fashion apparel design program at HACU-member institutions were given a chance to submit their essay and original design entry.
(L-R) Finalists of the Design Your Future contest were Michele Crow, Robert Richard, Miquette Elliott, Lizvette Damman, and Kin Wa Sweeney.
In the final judging, students modeled their own designs on a fashion runway as they competed for scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $5,000.
The scholarship awards were announced as follows:
- Miquette Elliot, a fashion and textile design major with a minor in textiles at the University of Califonia-Davis, Davis, CA, will receive a $5,000 scholarship.
- Robert Richard, a fashion design and fashion merchandising major with a minor in business at the University of North Texas, Denton, TX, will receive a $4,000 scholarship.
- Kin Wa Sweeney, a fashion design major at Johnson County Community College, Overland Park, KS, will receive a $3,000 scholarship.
- Lizvette Damman, an apparel design major with a minor in marketing at Baylor University, Waco, TX, will receive a $2,000 scholarship.
- Michele Crow, a fashion design major at Johnson County Community College, Overland Park, KS, will receive a $1,000 scholarship.
This marks the third year that HACU and GAP offer the Design Your Future/Diseña Tu Futuro competition to fashion design majors at HACU-member institutions.
UNT student’s suit wins 2nd in national fashion design contest (Source: University of North Texas News Service)