January 11, 2019
Chris de Hoyos
HACU announces agenda, workshops for 13th International Conference in San Juan, Puerto Rico
The Hispanic Association and Colleges and Universities will host its13th International Conference “University Resilience and Renaissance: The Challenge of Climate Change and Other Global Shifts,” on May 1-3, 2019, at the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
The International Conference will begin with an Opening Ceremony, followed by a welcome reception at the conference hotel on May 1. Eighteen concurrent workshops under the conference theme will be offered. Simultaneous translation (English/Spanish and Spanish/English) will be provided during the sessions and plenary/lunch events. For an online agenda, click here.
Concurrent sessions 1-6
- Universities as Agents of Change in Disasters for Sustainable Transitions
- Recovering From an Earthquake: The Case of CETYS University
- Development and Implementation of Academic Strategies to Reinstate Classes after a Natural Disaster
- International Student-Scientist Partnerships: Investigating Tropical Hurricane Disturbance in Western Mexico
- Beyond Canned Foods: Using High-Impact Practices for Sustained Disaster Relief
- Routine, Novel, Emergent – A Renaissance Movement toward Resiliency
Concurrent sessions 7-12
- UMET: Safe Campus
- Bouncing Back from an Emergency: A Coordinated Effort
- Collaborative Research on Resilient Infrastructure and Sustainability Education
- Strengthening and Empowering Students for Community Resilience
- Social Change through Internationalization in New Mexico, Spain and Costa Rica
- Crisis Preparation at Home and Abroad – A Dual Approach
Concurrent sessions 13-18
- Hurricane María: The Impact on Small Businesses in Puerto Rico
- ACUP Promotes Education as the Primary Tool for Recovery
- Student and Staff Outreach Following Hurricane Harvey
- Institutions of Higher Education and their Research about Climate Change
- Hurricane María: Our Experience and How We Adapted, Prepared and Bounced Back
- Interamerican University of Puerto Rico (INTER) in the Wake of the Crisis Post-Hurricane María: Initiatives in Support of the Community and Ecology
A Student Track, offered in conjunction with the conference, will include panel discussions and informative workshops related to study abroad and other international education programs.
April 12 is the final deadline to reserve an exhibit table. Information on registration, hotel, advertising, exhibitor and sponsorship opportunities is available online.
HACU’s 13th International Conference is made possible thanks to support from title sponsor EDP University of Puerto Rico and other local institutions including: Universidad Interamericana de Puerto Rico, Arecibo, Universidad Interamericana de Puerto Rico, San Germán, and Universidad de Puerto Rico, Mayagüez.