The HACU National Internship Program (HNIP)
15 YEARS OF CHANGING LIVES
July 26, 2007
Over the past 15 years, the HACU National Internship Program (HNIP) has worked with public and private sector partners to provide successful internships to over 6,500 individuals. An independent analysis of past program participants shows that the program clearly increases professional career opportunities for program participants and is truly “best practice” in the recruitment of Hispanics into the federal government.
Survey highlights include:
- As a result of their internship experience, over 90 percent of the participants considered a career with the federal government, a 44 percentage point increase compared to their intentions prior to completing their internship assignment.
- Nearly 38 percent of survey respondents now work in the federal government.
- 59 percent of students returning to school after the completion of their internship assignment were made offers to return in the future either as a permanent employee or as an intern.
- 80 percent of students that graduated with their degree were offered permanent positions or internships with the federal government.
- 60 percent of the participants reported that their HNIP assisted them in finding their current jobs.
- 72 percent of the participants reported that their current employer values the experience they had as an HNIP intern.
- 85 percent of the participants expect that their HNIP experience will be useful to them ten years from now.
- As a result of their internship, 96 percent of the participants reported having a positive outlook of their future career and employment.
- 87.5 percent of participants reported that their HNIP experience assisted them in improving their networking and peer relations and 89.9 percent of the participants reported that their HNIP experience assisted them in improving their interpersonal skills.
- Over 99 percent of the participants would recommend the program to students enrolled in college today.
- 91 percent of the participants consider that students with HNIP experience have an advantage over those without a similar experience.
Click here for more details.