June 4, 2018
Norma Jean Revilla-Garcia
HACU meets with “Act on the Dream” Coalition
The Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) convened an “Act on the Dream” Coalition meeting on June 4, 2018, in Washington, D.C., to provide an update on the status of DACA and the DREAM Act.
HACU President and CEO Antonio R. Flores and staff members of the Association presented an Act on the DREAM Summit Report and Summary that was developed after the Coalition met in May 2017. Among the outcomes of that meeting was the development of a national online resource center to better serve DACA/DREAMers and their families.
HACU staff provided information about resources for DREAMers and institutions now available at
https://hacu.net/DACA_Resources. The meeting provided an opportunity to discuss the work that the organizations are actively involved in support of DREAMers.
More than 35 national higher education organizations and immigration stakeholders are part of the Coalition. Among the areas of discussions for the Coalition has been discussing strategies to support passage of the BRIDGE Act and the DREAM Act, and to share resources to support DACA students, DREAMers, their families, and institutions of higher education.
The following organizations are among the members of the Coalition:
• AASA, The School Superintendents Association
• American Association of Collegiate Registrars & Admissions Officers
• American Association of State Colleges & Universities
• American Council on Education
• American Dental Education Association
• American Federation of Teachers (AFL-CIO)
• American Immigration Lawyers Association
• American School Counselor Association
• ASPIRA Association. Inc.
• Association of Catholic Colleges & Universities
• Association of Community College Trustees
• Association of Jesuit Colleges & Universities
• Association of Public & Land-Grant Universities
• California State University System
• Catholic Legal Immigration Network
• Center for Law and Social Policy
• Council for Opportunity in Education
• Council of Christian Colleges & Universities
• Council of Graduate Schools
• Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities
• Immigrant Legal Resource Center
• League of Latin American Citizens (LULAC)
• Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF)
• NAFSA: Association of International Administrators in Higher Education
• NASPA: Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
• National Association for College Admission Counseling
• National Association for Equal Opportunity in Higher Education
• National Association of College and University Attorneys
• National Council for Community & Education Partnerships
• UnidosUS (formerly NCLR)
• National Education Association
• National Immigration Law Center
• United We Dream
• University of California System
• Voto Latino
5/3/2017 - HACU Act on the DREAM Summit held in Washington, D.C.