2021 FACT SHEET
HISPANIC HIGHER EDUCATION AND HSIs
- In 2019, 60.6 million Hispanics lived in the U.S. and 3.2 million in Puerto Rico.
- Hispanics were 18.4% of the U.S. population in 2019.
- Hispanic median age is 30, over a decade younger than the non-Hispanic median age of 41.
- In 2019, 36% of the Hispanic population was under 21 years of age, compared to 24.2% of the non-Hispanic population.
- Twelve states were home to over 1 million Hispanics in 2019: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Texas.
- Hispanic share of the labor force is projected to increase from 29,054,000 (17.8%) in 2019 to 35,964,000 (21%) by 2029.
- Hispanic buying power rose $213 billion in 1990 to $1.5 trillion in 2018, representing a 212% growth rate.
Hispanic higher education:
- Hispanic enrollment in higher education is expected to exceed 4.4 million students by 2025, far surpassing the growth rate of any other racial-ethnic group.
- Between 2009 to 2018, the percent of STEM degrees conferred to Hispanic students rose from 9.8% to 14%.
- 3.6 million Hispanics were estimated to be enrolled in postsecondary institutions in 2019-20.
- Hispanics earned nearly 1 out of 4 associate degrees in 2018.
- Between 2001 and 2019 the share of bachelor's degrees conferred to Hispanic students rose from 6.5% to 14.9%.
Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSIs):
- Defined by the Higher Education Act as degree-granting institutions with Full-Time Equivalent undergraduate enrollments with at least 25% Hispanic. (For the complete federal definition, please visit www.hacu.net.)
- Of the top ten colleges and universities ranked by the Social Mobility Index (SMI), nine were HSIs.
- In 2019, 569 institutions met the federal enrollment criterion, enrolling two-thirds of all Hispanic undergraduates.
- HSIs are 17% of nonprofit colleges and universities.
- A majority of HSIs are in urban areas and are concentrated geographically, with 80% (456) of these institutions located
in six states and one territory, including: California, Florida, Illinois, New Mexico, New York, Texas and Puerto Rico.
- HSIs receive 68 cents for every dollar going to all other colleges and universities annually, per student, from all federal
- Since 2013, HSIs have increased on average by 29 institutions per year.
HSI Growth: 2013-2019
For a PDF version of the Fact Sheet, please click here.