Latino Higher Education Leadership Institute
HACU’s Latino Higher Education Leadership Institute, a dynamic, one-day forum for faculty, staff and administrators at any stage of their careers, will focus on strategies for moving up the faculty and administrative ladders in higher education. Speakers and roundtable discussions will explore key essential leadership skills. The Institute will feature keynote speakers and a panel of presidents from both community colleges and universities.
(Subject to Change)
October 6, 2018
| 7:30 - 8:30 a.m.
| 7:30 - 8:30 a.m.
|| Continental Breakfast
| 8:30 - 8:40 a.m.
|| Welcome Remarks
Tito Guerrero, Ph.D.
Director of Leadership Academy
| 8:40 - 9:15 a.m.
Rodrigo Renteria-Valencia, Ph.D.
Central Washington University
| 9:15 - 9:45 a.m.
| Morning Presentation: Leadership Skills: The Essentials
Sofia Ramos, Ph.D.
Career Development and Advancement Strategies Consultant
Luminario Education Strategies
| 9:45 - 10:40 a.m.
10:00 - 11:35 a.m.
Concurrent Roundtable Workshops
Two concurrent roundtable sessions exploring three key skills needed for higher education leaders to excel and advance up the ranks
*Participants choose one 55-minute roundtable session per time period
- Managing Money: Balancing expenditures and generating income - Budget, Funding Sources and Enrollment Management
- - Pablo Reguerin, Assistant Vice Provost for Student Success, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Strategic Planning: Moving an agenda forward - Visionary Planning, Campus Planning and Communications
- - Patrick Valdez, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer, UNM-Taos, The University of New Mexico
- - Mary Ann Villarreal, Ph.D., Associate Vice Provost for Strategic Initiative, California State University, Fullerton
- Managing People: Getting the most out of your teams - Faculty Recruitment and Engagement, Team Building and Conflict Resolution
- Clarissa Cota, Interim VP, Academic Affairs, College of Southern Nevada
- Amaris Guzman, Ph.D., Community Outreach Manager, Valencia College
| 10:35 - 11:45 a.m.
| Essential Leadership Skills: Wrap-Up
| Noon – 1:15 p.m.
|| Networking Lunch
Welcome & Introduction
Antonio R. Flores, Ph.D.
President & CEO
Modesto Maidique, Ph.D.
Chapmanville Leadership Development Program
President Emeritus, Florida International University
| 1:30 - 2:10 p.m.
|| Afternoon Speaker
Joseph Castro, Ph.D.
California State University, Fresno
| 2:15 - 3:15 p.m.
|| Presidents' Panel
Felix V. Matos Rodriguez, Ph.D.
Queens College, CUNY
Maria Harper-Marinick, Ph.D.
Maricopa Community Colleges
Margaret H. Venable, Ph.D
Dalton State College
Frank D. Sanchez, Ph.D.
Rhode Island College
| 3:15 - 3:30 p.m.
|| Leadership Review: Wrap-Up and Evaluations
Western States Legislative Affairs, HACU
Onsite registration will be available.
For information or any additional inquiries, please contact: