September 22, 2022
The Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities hosted a roundtable discussion with Hispanic-Serving Institution presidents from across the country and the U.S. Department of Education. The HSI focused roundtable took place on Sept. 21, 2022, in Washington, D.C.
HACU President and CEO Antonio R. Flores and government relations staff were among those present at the round table led by Assistant Secretary for Post-Secondary Education for the Department of Education Nasser Paydar.
The following HSI leaders and students took part in the roundtable discussion:
• Guy Bailey, Ph.D., president, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
• Irma Becerra, Ph.D., president, Marymount University
• Nancy Cantor, Ph.D., chancellor, Rutgers University – Newark
• Abel Chavez, Ph.D., president, Our Lady of the Lake University
• Greg Peterson, Ph.D., president, Chandler Gilbert Community College
• Jason Pleitez, student, Kean University
• Vanya Quiñones, Ph.D., president, California State University, Monterey Bay
• Lamont Repollet, Ed.D., president, Kean University
• Dennis J. Tyner, Ph.D., president, Ottawa University- Arizona
• Karina Zamora, student, San Francisco State University
Closing out the event was a virtual roundtable discussion held by Ethan Rosenzweig, deputy assistant secretary, academic programs bureau of educational and cultural affairs, U.S. Department of State. A meeting with the Domestic Policy Council at the White House was also held. Presidents also had meetings on Capitol Hill on Sept. 22.