January 31, 2023
California Governor Newsom’s 2023-24 budget proposal details
The Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities has released the following statement in response to Governor Newsom’s proposed 2023-24 State Budget.
"Governor Gavin’s proposed budget is to be commended for addressing student affordable housing and necessary enhancements for the CSU and UC systems, but community colleges and student aid programs should be considered for greater support by the state legislature,” said HACU President and CEO Antonio R. Flores.
Highlights of the budget are as follows:
- California Student Aid Commission: The California Student Aid Commission is facing a 5.2% decrease from the total fund and a 5.9% decrease in the General Fund for 2023-24.
- Student Housing: The 2023-24 budget proposes delaying $250 million of the anticipated 2023-24 support for affordable student housing projects to the 2024-25 fiscal year.
- Community Colleges: There is a 3% total fund decrease from the 2022-23 Budget and a 0.8% increase in General Fund & Property Taxes.
- CSU: There will be an overall 0.5% decrease in total fund from the 2022-23 Budget and a 5.8% increase in General Fund.
- UC: The UCs face a 1% decrease in Total Funds and a 5.9% increase in General Fund.
- K-12:This year K-12 funding totals to $23,723 per pupil when accounting for all funding sources.
The complete budget can be found at www.ebudget.ca.gov.
HACU Member Advisories are a service of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU)