2019 FACT SHEET
HISPANIC HIGHER EDUCATION AND HSIs
- 59.1 million Hispanics in U.S. in 2018, plus 3.3 million in Puerto Rico.
- Hispanics are 18.1% of U.S. population.
- Median age is 28, Hispanics are almost a decade younger than the U.S. population with a median age of 37.
- In 2016, U.S. born Hispanics accounted for 81% of Hispanics ages 35 and younger.
- The number of states with a population of 1 million or more Hispanics residents in 2017: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York and Texas.
- Hispanic population growth from 2000-2010 has been most rapid in the South and Midwest.
- 2016 buying power of U.S. Hispanics was $1.4 trillion, projected to reach $1.7 trillion by 2020.
Hispanic academic attainment:
- 29.5% of Hispanics 25 and over have not completed high school, compared to 5.9% of non-Hispanic whites.
- In 2017, 17.2% of Hispanics adults had at least a bachelor's degree, compared to 53.9% of Asians, 38.1% of Non-Hispanic Whites and 24.3% of African Americans.
- 67% of Hispanic recent high school graduates ages 16-24 were enrolled in college in 2017, compared to 69% for whites.
Hispanic higher education:
- 3.5 million Hispanics were enrolled in non-profit institutions in 2017
- 46.0% of Hispanic undergraduate students attend two-year institutions (compared to 34% of all white undergraduates).
Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSIs):
- Defined by the Higher Education Act as degree-granting institutions with Full-Time Equivalent undergraduate enrollments at least 25% Hispanic.
- In 2017, 523 institutions met the federal enrollment criterion, enrolling 66% of all Hispanic undergraduates.
- HSIs are over 15% of non-profit colleges and universities.
- A majority of HSIs are in urban areas and are concentrated geographically, with 83 percent of these institutions located in six states and one territory including California, Texas, Florida, New York, Illinois, New Mexico and Puerto Rico.
- HSIs receive 68 cents for every dollar going to all other colleges and universities annually, per student, from all federal funding sources.
- HSIs have grown by 334 institutions since 1994 and have averaged an increase of 30 institutions per year since 2009.
HSI Growth: 1994-2017
For a PDF version of the Fact Sheet, please click here.